The Mission of the Friends of the Hollywood Theater is to celebrate cinema and preserve the single-screen theater experience. As operated by the Friends of the Hollywood Theater, we engage our community as a cultural and economic anchor with innovative and diverse programming.
Series and special events include
* Silents Please!, the only monthly silent film series in Pittsburgh, which pairs silent films with live musical accompaniment. Films have included the works of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Anna May Wong, Harold Lloyd, F.W. Murnau, Louise Brooks, and more. Musicians have included Tom Roberts, Ben Opie, Daryl Fleming & the Public Domain, and the Andrew Alden Ensemble. This past June, the Friends partnered with I Hood Media (through a grant from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts) to bring local hip-hop artist and community activist Jasiri X to the theater where he presented his original new score for the newly restored Body and Soul, the 1925 silent film directed by Oscar Micheaux and starring the great Paul Robeson, an African American silent film star. Silents Please was made possible by a Sprout Foundation grant.
* Thanks to a partnership with the Pittsburgh Area Theatre Organ Society (PATOS), the Hollywood Theater has an in-house organ, Dale Abraham (from WESA 90.5's Rhythm Sweet & Hot), often performs before screenings and the organ is also used for the Silents Please! Series.
* One of the Hollywood's most popular series is the monthly Breakfast and a Movie event, which pairs a classic movie along with a tasty, catered breakfast. Upcoming features include Young Frankenstein and White Christmas.
* The Friends partner with the Dormont Historical Society for an annual free family movie of cartoons and silent classics.
* Young people flock to the theater for bi-weekly screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show hosted by Junior Chamber of Commerce Players (JCCP), Pittsburgh's official Rocky Horror Picture Show shadow cast.
* The Hollywood also reaches out to students by hosting field trips for several area schools that include a lecture, a movie and a tour of the theater. We received a STEM grant for this.
* The Hollywood Theater's annual Halloween Party fundraiser, attracts a large crowd thanks to a costume contest and a special guest. Past guests have included the late great local broadcasting personality Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille, and critic and horror movie buff Joe Bob Briggs. The 2016 party will feature Doug Bradley ("Pinhead" from the Hellraiser movie series).
* The Deuce Come to Dormont series presents horror, Grindhouse, and B-movies-from the infamous to little-known gems.
* The Hollywood's Guest Programmer Series invites local and national celebrities to screen their favorite movie. Past guest programmers include Mayor Bill Peduto, actress Gillian Jacobs, and actors David Conrad and Tom Atkins. This event usually includes a Q&A with the programmer.
* On a monthly basis, the Hollywood presents a Midnight Movie Club with members choosing what to screen.
* The monthly Silver Screening series invites senior citizen to enjoy a classic movie at a reduced price.